Thursday, December 29, 2011

Yummie Santa Baby!

For a holiday pot luck at work I choose to bring cupcakes. I wanted to be all festive so I put Santa faces on them. It was very simple and anyone can do it. You need three colors of frosting- Red, White and Flesh. Also need red and white M&M's (I used the holiday mint ones!), and mini chocolate chips.
I made 24 cupcakes with the Ice Cream Cake method and used mint chip ice cream in chocolate cake. I feel like mint chocolate is a good holiday flavor.

Once the cupcakes cool frost with the flesh color- just use a knife or spatula.
 Then have your red and white frosting in pastry bags or zip lock bags with a small hole cut in the corner will work too. Using the Red make a small triangle mouth and surround it with a White mustachio and beard.
Take a Red M&M and place it in the center for a nose and then add 2 White dots for eyes.
This is my secret for eyes- take a mini chocolate chip and turn it point side down and push it into the white eyes you just made. The flat round side should be facing up so that's what you see. This is how to get nice round eyes.
Now just add the traditional Santa hat with the Red and White frosting. For the little ball at the end if the hat use a White M&M-so this can only be done with the seasonal M&M's or you can find some other white candy, or just a frosting dot will be fine.
 You may have noticed a few dots in my Santa flesh- Well in my usual last minute fashion it was late at night and I realized I only had a little regular white frosting left and the other cans (yes, gasp, I use pre-made frosting) were fun-fettie frosting. So I used the white for the beard and other details and colored the fun-fettie hoping it would not be so obvious. They tasted pretty darn good, so I am happy with them!!
Since it was late I also was getting tired-- so I did 1/2 Santa cup cakes and 1/2 wreaths.
The wreaths were red frosting, then a green ring piped on, sprinkled with green decorating sugar, and holida sprinkles pluse a few M&M's to decorate the wreath. All together it made a nice festive display.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment